Free Blue Walk Paused

Five days ago I set out to walk from Brisbane to Adelaide approximately 2000km in 50 days. However after just two days I got a skin infection called celulitis and had to pause to recover.

I was lucky that my friend was a nurse and identified it before I continued or I could have gotten septicemia on the road and been out of action for much longer. I felt I was letting everyone down at first but now I am thankful for the time to recover before my first big challenge, the ascent from the Fassifern Valley up through Cunningham’s Gap onto the Darling Downs. This has also given my other leg time to totally recover from the torn calf muscle that I got 3 weeks earlier.

Day 1 and I left home at about 7:20 am. I was accompanied by my neighbour Campbell for a little way then headed off over Eleanor Schonel bridge into the University of Queensland. I’d chosen a lighter pack but soon realised the straps were going to dig into my shoulders so I called my son Clay and he met me at Indooropilly Station where I changed all my gear from one pack to the other and said good bye again. That was my first change of plans.

I met a nice young man, riding his bicycle to school who helped me put on my rain poncho and later contributed what he could to my cause. The trip out to the Moggil ferry was rainy and it didn’t stop until I got close to Ipswich.

At Bellbowrie Fruit Shop the owner donated my lunch, a pear, banana, mandarin, 2 avocados and a bag of mushrooms. Thank you. ( And if you live in Bellbowrie check it out because it’s hard competing against the big supermarkets)

The end of day 1 and I arrived in Ipswich, wet and tired with a little pain in my right leg but my left leg which I’d torn the calf muscle 2.5 weeks earlier was feeling fine. I stretched, rubbed and massaged but to no avail and my right leg still hurt in  the morning.

On day two I got my first taste of long straight roads  but my right leg only got sorer. I made it to Kalbar but my leg was very painful all night.  One of my hosts is a nurse and she took one look at my leg and suggested I had cellulitis and that I ought to see a doctor immediately. I went to a doctor and she gave me antibiotics. For this reason days three, four and five  have been  rest days and I am doing this to ensure that I can make it all the way from Brisbane to Adelaide.

I have been eating tubers of turmeric and bathing the leg  in Condy’s Crystals, potassium permanganate, to try everything I can because I am determined to complete this challenge. Why continue and not just give up? It’s just not me and I also believe I my dream of mobile free schools teaching lifestyles of health and sustainability as well as  universal free education so  passionately that I want to see it become a reality.

I also know that my compassionate action is inspiring people to get off their comfortable couches and follow their dreams too. People have told me so.

I am reminded of the story of Robert the Bruce and the spider and how through perseverance you can achieve your goals and dreams.

Now I am resting because I intend to get to Adelaide by foot, two feet that is, and I don’t with to be stopped due to poor health so I’ll recover and then continue. Hopefully tomorrow but everything happens for a reason.

If everyone in Australia contributed  1¢ per kilometer that I also from Brisbane to Adelaide, I wold be able to start 50 mobile free schools, a FREE University and take the idea out of Australia to the world.

Do you also share my dream for Free Education? You can contribute here to James’ Blue House Free Schools.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s