5 Foods that age you. Avoid these 5 foods if you want to stay youthful.
by James Arthur Warren
At 45 years old I look into the mirror and see a lot of grey hair. Most of it is on my face as my dreadlocks still have more gold hair than grey. I do however intend to keep my body young and healthy so that is why I exercise and eat well.
Here are 5 of what I consider to be the most ageing foods. These foods are very common and difficult to avoid but understanding how they age you is essential to staying younger longer.
- Sugar: Sugar is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Carbohydrates are essential to survival but it is the quality of your carbohydrates that either age you or keep you youthful. Refined white sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) are have a very high glycemic index which means they are readily used by the body causing a spike in blood sugar levels. Many manufactured foods are packed with sugar because sugar tastes “nice” which makes foods more desirable. The initial boost from readily available sugars then quickly falls away leaving you sluggish and craving more sugar or another sugary soft-drink. As your energy level quickly drops your body thinks you are going into starvation or famine mode so it starts to store fat for the famine. The sugars and carbohydrates that occur naturally in fresh produce take longer for the body to absorb and process. The release of energy is more sustained over a longer period and the blood sugar level falls gradually. This has the effect of sustaining you longer. Sugar also causes blood acidity and requires that you eat lots of alkaline green vegetables, Sugar has many negative effects which include: brain sluggishness, but most importantly it slows down the ability of the body to heal itself and regenerate.
- Salt: Sodium chloride is a common and cheap flavour enhancer that is routinely added to food to make them more flavoursome. Unfortunately common salt is highly processed and is only two kinds of salt. There is enough naturally occurring salt in most foods. However, If you must add salt to your meal you should use a high quality salt such as himalayan crystal salt. Salt also causes blood acidity.
- Cow dairy: Dairy causes inflammation and mucus formation in the gut. This leads to a sluggish digestive system which is slower to eliminate toxins which cause ageing. Most dairy also contains hormones and antibiotics that are fed to the cows which also cause oxidative stress on the body. These hormones are then passed on in the milk.
- Meat: Meat, especially “factory farmed meat” and processed meats like bacon age the body because once again meat is one of the most acid forming foods. . An acidic diet is a diet that ages you and pulls calcium from your bones. Meat also causes inflammation because it contains saturated fats, Neu5Gc, a sugar molecule and arachidonic acid all of which increase inflammation. Processed meats like bacon and salami also contain sulphites and nitrites which are known to cause cancer. Meat also irritates the gut, cn cause hormonal imbalances and causes oxidative stress. Fried, grilled or barbecued meat also contains carcinogenic compounds that can alter DNA.
- “Bad” trans fats: There are a lot of good fat sources, coconut oil, avocado oil, flax, olive and fish oil. All of these have essential fatty acids that promote a youthful body. However the “bad” fats are the chemically altered fats. Trans fats also known as hydrogenated fats are chemically changed by heating. This alters the molecular structure so that a vegetable oil which is usually liquid at room temperature becomes a solid such as margarine. Heating any oil to extreme temperatures in the cooking process damages the fat so it is best to avoid too many fried foods if you don’t want to age.
So what is the solution?
Quit eating processed food and soft drinks full of sugar and change your diet to a plant based diet high in raw fruits and vegetables.
Check out my video for more information on these 5 ageing foods.
Reference: “Eat yourself young” by Elizabeth Peyton-Jones
Help me build a moble school teaching lifestyles of health and sustainability by donation to James; Blue House Free Schools by clicking the button below.
5 Food that Age You by James Arthur Warren is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.